Ed Berry’s Background
I began studying Martial Arts at the age of eight. My first Martial Arts training was in the Korean Art of Taekwondo. This art served as a wonderful tool for a child, helping me learn discipline, dedication and self – confidence.
As I began my teenage years, I began my training in a cross or mixture of Martial Arts under my uncle Hap Milt. During this time, I learned several styles of fighting including Hapkido, knife skills, and practical chokes.
In my twenty’s, I began training formally in AGK (the American Goshin Budo and Kobudo – Shi-Toh-Ryu Karate -Do). Here I gained a great knowledge of the formalities of the Okinawa Art and was privileged to be trained by Sensei Stan Cole in Black Mountain, North Carolina. During this time I was introduced to both Form Tournaments and Fighting Tournaments. Under Sensei Cole, I gained my first Black Belt. Today, I still have fond memories of Sensei Cole and the valuable lessons he showed me.
However, approximately 19 years ago, I had the unique privilege to meet Sifu Henry Patterson formally of New Jersey and now residing in Santa Rosa Beach. Upon meeting Sifu Patterson, my Martial Arts world shifted. It opened up to a whole new ball game. At this time Sifu Patterson introduced me to the Chinese Arts of: Wing Chun and White Crane Gong Fu, Shaolin Qin Na, Taijiquan (Tai Chi) and Qigong. For me, this was and is the real deal. These arts are practical, efficient and reliable.
Training under Sifu Patterson has increased my awareness of real life Self Defense techniques. In the years of training in these Chinese Arts, I have been invited to travel all across the United States to train with Dr. Yang Jing – Ming a true Master and one of Sifu Patterson’s main instructors and Master Yip Pui (Terence Yip), a direct disciple of Grandmaster Yip Chun and Great Grandmaster Ip Man as well as Soke Michael Kinney. During these travels I have gained a wealth of knowledge from some of the finest martial Artist in the World including: Sifu Stephen Frenkel, Paul Green, Grand Master Paul Dyer and others.
As a Martial Arts instructor in Northwest Florida I have had the Honor of training with and being associated in a bother hood of incredible Instructors including Sifu Chris Damiano, Grand Master John Liptak, and Grand Master Joe Cayer to name a few. Occasionally I am a guest Instructor at the Emerald Coast Martial Arts Academy in Fort Walton Beach owed by GM Cayer.
I am teaching you the skills that I have been shown with the permission of Sifu Patterson and with the understanding that these classes are truly an extension of his program and class, for he is my instructor and therefore your true instructor. It will be a privilege to have him make special appearances in our school.
Sifu, Ed Berry
Awards and Accomplishments:
- 1994 Earned Sho Dan (1 st degree) Black Belt in Shi-Toh-Ryu Karate
- 2007 Earned Teaching Certificate in Wing Chun, Taijiquan (Tai Chi) and Qigong under the guidance of Sifu Henry Patterson
- 2012, recognized by the Shinja Martial Arts University Hall of Honors as the Chin Na Instructor of the Year.
- 2013 Earned Black Belt under the Eastern U.S.A International Martial Arts Association.
- 2013 Nominated into the U.S.A International Black Belt Hall of Fame
- 2013 recognized by the Eastern U.S.A International Martial Arts Association as the Chin Na Instructor of the Year.
- 2014 Earned Sifu recognition (teacher) Black Belt under the Eastern U.S.A International Martial Arts Association.
- 2014 recognized by the Eastern U.S.A International Martial Arts Association as the Wing Chun Instructor of the Year.
- 2016 recognized by the Eastern U.S.A International Martial Arts
Association as the Inspirational Martial Arts Example of the Year.
Learn More About Ed’s Tai-chi Classes HERE